Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Self-Regulating Strategy~Learning to Maintain Focus~Concentration

Control of my physical environment has become a very important issue and aspect in regard to my academic learning, as well as, living a successful life.  I am a certified substance abuse counselor and have worked in this field long ago. I became a mother again at the age of 35 and have had to re-focus my life goals after divorce and returning to California 5 years ago. Being disabled, I deal with my health issues on a daily basis. When a  girlfriend told me she was going to attend school for alcohol/drug certification, I too, felt inspired and experienced a serge of energy in dedicating myself to on-going education.

The self-regulating tool of 'controlling my environment,' has become an integrated part of my academic goals and healing process. Due to my physical limitations and levels of discomfort and pain, I have established several work areas to organize, focus and concentrate on my studies. I have a very comfortable office chair at my dining room table with school and office supplies nearby. Behind me is my bookcase; where I can read my self-help and inspirational books as well as, educational interests. I cherish my many family photos, especially those of my grandaughter.  This type of atmosphere helps motivate and maintains an on-going  educational strategy. Being able to concentrate and focus on learning adds to my self worth.   I am also grateful for my living room coffee table where I use pillows to prop my back on the couch and I can use my laptop. There is plenty of room for my books and notes. I also have a companion dog named Serenity and she lays behind me reminding me that I am doing the right thing in my life today.  Some days are hard to start, but after my day is done and I lay my head to sleep I know I have participated into the future and success of my life. 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you have clearly acknowledged an area in which you needed to gain more control and you have done so. All of your modifications seem pleasing to you. This is a good example of how to acknowledge a challeng then take steps to conquer it.

    ReplyDelete